Monday, Sept. 14: The 5 books that have impacted your life the most.
Ahhhh, books. One of the best companions. I am so thankful that I adopted a love of reading early on and that I finally got my new library card a few months ago. Books definitely shape us and these are five that have impacted me.
1. The Little House On The Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder | These books are some of the first I remember reading once I started reading independently. They are absolute classics and what sparked much of my love of reading. Growing up on a big piece of farmland, these books were imagination fuel for hours of outdoor play with my sisters. We had so much fun building forts and gathering pretend food. These books are magical to me and I would love to add a boxed set to my [KonMarie-d] bookshelf. There are so many books I remember reading and loving growing up [The Chronicles of Narnia!, Misty of the Chincoteague books!], but the Little House books are my first love.
2. The Bible & Bible Studies by Beth Moore | For Christians, one would hope the Bible would make the list of books that have impacted your life! For me, personally, I’m still learning how to study the Bible effectively. It can be difficult to just jump right in and know what to do and how to study – it really is an art not a science. One of my most favorite tools for studying the Bible and learning through the Word is doing Bible Studies by Beth Moore. She is an excellent teacher and a mighty woman of God. I have done Stepping Up [Psalms], Mercy Triumphs [James], The Patriarchs [Genesis], and Children Of The Day [1&2 Thessalonians]. I have learned and [hopefully!] grown through each one of these studies and I’m always excited to start another. Even when I’ve been unable to join a group, just buying the book and video sessions were worth every penny.
3. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo | I am convinced that the entire internet has now read this book, but that is awesome. I’ve written before about my love of organizing and rearranging and getting rid of things, but this book taught me how to do that effectively. Learning how to tidy really will change your life. I have KonMarie-d my clothes and all our books now and it is such a good change! My closet can breathe again and I can easily see everything at once in my drawers. I got rid of about 4 trash bags of clothes and 2 bags of books/papers. It feels good to get rid of things and re-organize spaces, but this method has a lasting effect. We still have a lot of categories to go through, but my mindset is now focused on releasing things that don’t spark joy and just clutter up my home.
4. The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey | We received this book as a wedding gift and it is probably one of the most valuable gifts we received. This book is all about taking control of your finances, getting out of debt fast, and saving for emergencies and retirement. Reading this book can sometimes feel overwhelming but educating yourself on how to become financially responsible is definitely worth feeling overwhelmed at times. Money is a big part of life and learning how to manage it is crucial to obtaining financial freedom. No matter your age or stage, this book can teach you how to become financially fit. Fair warning, though, some find his approach extreme. But for us, it was a great tool to create honest conversation about money and also motivated us to take control of our finances.
5. The Four And Twenty Blackbirds Pie Book by sisters Melissa and Emily Elsen | I received this book as a Christmas gift from Matthew’s sister+her husband and after almost two years I think they’re just as glad as I am ;). This book is full of delicious pie recipes and I love trying new ones. Pies have become my standby dessert for parties and birthday desserts thanks to this book. I’m still perfecting my pie crust, but I love the recipe out of this book for a flaky, tender crust. Just talking about it makes me want to go make a pie right now…
day 13: current season
day 12: currently…
day 11: friday night
day 10: bucket list
day 9: dear me,
day 8: favorite season
day 7: blog name
day 6: style
day 5: itunes shuffle
day 4: passions
day 3: mood board
day 2: ideal day
day 1: introductions