This is the stuff of dreams. Vegan, Paleo, delicious, and easy? Yes, please. The three ingredients are all things you likely already have on hand – ripe/overripe bananas, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract. Plus, you don’t need a specialty appliance to make it, a food processor gets it done best.
A few months ago I was out of milk and looking for another way to use frozen bananas and came across these instructions for one-ingredient banana ice cream. I was sold and tried it right away. Needless to say, there weren’t any leftovers for Matthew to try…
This time around I decided to up the ante a bit and go chocolate. I made this over the weekend for Matthew and I to have at a gathering we hosted that included a birthday party. While this is very much NOT in the spirit of the Whole30 (and technically not even ingredient-compliant due to the vanilla extract), it was really fun to be able to have something while everyone else ate birthday cake (that I made) and ice cream. Plus, some of our guests tried it and were blown away at how good it was and were excited to make it later.
So here it is, so easy you can hardly call it a recipe:
- ~5-6* ripe/overripe bananas, sliced and frozen
- 2-3 tablespoons cocoa powder [I used Hershey’s Special Dark]
- 1-2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Place frozen bananas in a food processor fitted with the blade attachment and blend until the mixture is crumbly and mostly broken up.
- Add cocoa powder and vanilla extract.
- Continue blending until the mixture is completely incorporated and smooth and resembles soft-serve ice cream. [at this point you can remove ice cream from the food processor and stir in any desired mix-ins like nuts, chocolate chips, etc.]
- Either serve and enjoy immediately or transfer to a freezer-safe container and freeze until desired time.
*The amount doesn’t really matter just be sure to not overload your food processor or it will be tough to blend.
I prefer eating this right when it’s made for the smooth, creamy soft-serve-like texture. It is still delicious after freezing and it is convenient to make ahead of time, but is colder and more solid.
Either way, this yummy “ice cream” is still dairy-free, paleo, vegan, and doesn’t have any added sugar. Try your own combinations of mix-ins to the banana base for the perfect personalized summer treat!